Monday, December 29, 2008

Who Do I Want to Be?

The first place to start is by setting goals. There is so much I want to change about my life, but I can't know how to get there if I don't know where I'm going. My mind is flooded with ideas, hopes, projects... and the best way to start keeping track of them is by writing them down. After they are written down, its much easier to break down the process of reaching those goals into steps.

I'm a fantastic list-maker, but I'm not always that good with the follow up. Maybe putting things out there on a public blog will help.

And so, without further ado, in no particular order, (see, I'm procrastinating even in this sentence!), here are some of the goals I have in mind:

1. Lose 35 pounds. No matter which way you look at it, I must lose this weight. I'm not trying to be super-skinny, although I'd love to look like Katee Sackhoff... but seriously, I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my daughter. I am in real danger of developing Type II diabetes, especially as it runs in my family. And, on a more positive note, I need to lose the weight, so I can gain it back again! Baby weight, that is :-)

2. Start homeschooling my kids. My son is ready. Daughter not far behind (at least for what is developmentally appropriate for her). I want to really solidify the pre-K curricula we are going to use and then get going. Son is ready to read!!

3. Deepen my relationship with my husband. I'm not going to get terribly personal about this on the blog. Suffice it to say that its something I long for and need.

4. Go vegan. There are so many reasons for this- personal, ethical, health... Its my happy medium between raw vegan and vegetarian. I'm doing it. I'm ready

5. Do the 21 day Quantum Wellness Cleanse- that means no caffeine, gluten, alcohol, sugar, or dairy.

6. Fast twice a week- not strict fasts, but the typical type that Eastern Orthodox Christians do- no meat, dairy, fish, olive oil or wine on Wednesdays and Fridays. For the most part, that's not a huge sacrifice if I'm able to meet my vegan goal, but no olive oil? That kind of terrifies me.

7. Incorporate religious life even more into my family life. I was so struck by Anne Rice's descriptions of her early childhood growing up in the Roman church. Her religious life was so intertwined with her childhood that her first memories were of her church. Her family celebrated feasts and fasts and commemorated any number of biblical events. I'd like to follow the liturgical calendar of the East. We will not be participating in feasts venerating "saints", but the big ones like the Great Lent, the Nativity, Epiphany, Pentecost etc. will be observed. I just like the idea of interweaving church tradition with daily home life. Its just another tool in the toolbox.

8. Develop an attitude of service and self-sacrifice and drop the martyr complex. My motto for 2009 is simple: Serve. Self-care isn't a bad thing. Self-obsession and self-pity are killers. I believe you can balance service and self-care and I intend to make this the year that I really start.

9. Declutter my home. Get it in good order. Full time homemaking/mothering is just around the bend and I would like to be prepared. Babysteps!

10. Give up television. I watch way too much. I have it on in the background even if I'm not watching it. I'll stick with my big favorites: The Biggest Loser, Big Love, BSG, and the Tudors and pretty much drop the rest. Yes, even America's Next Top Model and perhaps Survivor. Shoot, the list I'm sticking with seems like a lot, but all save one are very limited in scope with only 10 episodes each.

11. Learn to love quiet. I have quiet. Can't stand it. Must. Have. NOISE! I don't think that compulsion has served me well over the years.

12. Read for at least 30 minutes a day with my kids. Doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm not with them enough to extend it out.

13. Read every book on my church's reading list this year. Read at least two books a month.

14. Have fabulous birthday parties for my kids- with invitations and everything!

15. Keep my cool with my kids. Its a tall order, but it is absolutely essential. There is no excuse for my blow-ups and tantrums. Period. Gentle Discipline!

Okay, that's all for now. But be warned- there is more!

No comments:

Post a Comment