Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Welcomed Discovery

Today is Day 7 of my caffeine-free, vegan journey and Day 1 of a new, no-sugar diet as well. I tried a little experiment this morning. I consciously chose to have a cup of my "Half-Caff" Trader Joe's coffee, just to test its effects. I didn't feel like a slave to the caffeine. I just wanted a cup or real coffee and chose to have one.

An hour after first consumption, my stomach was on fire! I felt like I'd had two or three cups of full-caff. An hour and a half later, I was high as a kite. My eyes were bugging out of my head. I talked up a storm and couldn't stop. I was wide awake and cheerful. Three hours later, I crashed and am fatigued yet again.

All that from under 1 cup of half-caff coffee.

I don't think this will be a difficult journey anymore, at least not where coffee is concerned. Tea is a bit tougher because the caffeine content is half that of coffee and its not as acidic so you don't feel the effects in your gut like you do with coffee. I love a good cup of Irish Breakfast with a teeny bit of sugar and a splash of milk, neither of which I can have right now. So I'm still stuck with no-s0-great tea. I know there's good stuff out there... I just have to find it.

This discovery about coffee is very welcomed. I don't need it- physically, psychologically... emotionally, I'm not sure, but I'll get over it. Coffee is such a social drink and we are big drinkers in my family. Not sure how I can get through a holiday without my Jose's vanilla with a splash of cream... but I'll figure it out.

Have to get back to work. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment